– Another academic biopic, playing it safe, full of clichés and superficially presented. I would expect a more thorough approach by the documentary director of “Man on Wire” and “Project Nim”, James Marsh.
– The music score of Johann Johannsson ties the story beautifully, stirring the viewer’s emotions and getting him involved in the film.
– Eddie Redmayne is giving an undoubtedly exquisite performance, but his role is constrained by the inevitable mimicry and resemblance to the real life persona of Stephen Hawking.
– The startling performance of Felicity Jones in the role of Jane Hawking. She is the emotional pillar that keeps the story away of becoming melodramatic.
– The home video effect intervals of crucial moments in Stephen Hawking’s life used by James Marsh, that gave a feel of documentary to the film.
Cinestar 5, Sony Center, Berlin, 02/02/2015